RETURN TO CIEE MADRID MAIN PAGE:




Return to CIEE LS Madrid Program Main Page:

http://www.ciee.org/study/programOverview.aspx?pID=1810#1rightForYou

miércoles, 30 de marzo de 2011

EXCURSION TO ANDALUCIA: CORDOBA

By Sarah Assemany
Wofford College
The first day of our Cordoba and Sevilla adventure was extremely fun!  We all boarded the bus early that morning and started our journey to Cordoba.  The bus ride was fun in itself because the whole CIEE group hadn´t been together since orientation.  Every person in our group has a great personality so it was great to catch up with everyone!  Once we arrived in Cordoba we stopped at the hotel to drop off our things, and then we headed to lunch.  We had an authentic southern meal for Lunch with many different dishes.  One of our plates was pork, french fries, and a fried egg.  The way the eat the dish is by breaking the egg yoke and missing everything together, including the french fries.  Now, I am slightly particular about my food, and I don´t usually like different foods to touch each other on the plate, but this was actually really tasty!  After lunch we headed to La Mezquita. 
I learned that La Mezquita was originally a mosque in Cordoba, and it was one of the most beautiful mosques in the world.  Then, when the Catholics took control in Spain, they demolished all non-Catholic establishments.  However, they couldn’t bring themselves to destroy La Mezquita, so instead they just took control over it and used it as a Catholic Cathedral.  For this reason, the people that live in Cordoba refer to La Mezquita as the Cathedral, but almost everyone else in the world knows the religious site as La Mezquita.  It is enormous.  I had seen pictures before I came to Spain, but I did not realize how gigantic it really is.  I can’t really describe it; you have to see it to believe it!  Isn’t it crazy that one religion can totally dominate another?  I know it has happened a lot throughout history, but I still think it’s weird to imagine
Finally, that night we went to a Flamenco dance performance.  Our program had already seen a small Flamenco performance consisting of two female dancers during our orientation, but this was a real Flamenco performance with many dancers both male and female.  There were many different choreographed numbers with various beautiful costumes.  They also had a live band and singers throughout the entire show as well.  Flamenco is both a style of dance and music.  During intermission we actually got to talk to the band.  Our first day of our excursion also happened to be my 21st birthday, and everyone told the band members that it was my birthday.  So, right before the last song and dance of the show, the head singer had me stand up in the audience while everyone sang Happy Birthday to me!  I was nervous that my birthday would be kind of depressing since I would be away from home and missing my friends and family, but our experience in Cordoba that day was much more memorable than anything I would have done in South Carolina!  Not many people can say that they went to La Mezquita and watched a live Flamenco performance on their 21st birthday!   

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario